Public Works and Development
Public Works and Development strives to enhance the quality of life within unincorporated Arapahoe County. It provides safe, effective transportation, and building of communities through quality planning, design, construction and maintenance in the following areas. The department is proud to have achieved accreditation through the American Public Works Association twice. Learn more about our achievement.
2021 Community Report
Public Works and Development accomplished critical goals in 2021. We hope you enjoy reading through our 2021 Community Report.
Arapahoe County seeks highly motivated and collaborative professionals committed to public service. We are hiring for a variety of positions throughout the County. View all our current job openings.
Our Lima Plaza office is open to the public during normal business hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday. Please make an appointment before visiting our office at 6924 S. Lima St.
Most of our services can be provided over the phone, through email or through our website, so calling first may save you a trip to our office. When a visit to our office is required, scheduling an appointment ensures the correct staff person will be in the office and available to serve you on the day of your visit.
For questions or to schedule an appointment, please call or email the appropriate program area below. Be sure to leave a voicemail when needed, and one of our team members will get back to you.
- Animal Services: 720-874-6750 or email PWDAnimalServices@arapahoegov.com for field response, complaints, reports or other questions
- Building: 720-874-6600 or email PWDBuildingSupport@arapahoegov.com for questions and support related to permits and inspections; use Customer Access to apply for a permit or to check for your scheduled inspection time
- Engineering: 720-874-6500 for general inquiries or Customer Access to check project status
- Mapping Services: 720-874-6686 for mapping services and requests
- Planning: 720-874-6650 for planning services or use Customer Access to check project status
- Records Requests: 720-874-6500 or email PWDRecords@arapahoegov.com for records related to unincorporated parts of the County
- Road & Bridge: 720-874-ROAD (7623) for questions about current projects and/or requests for service
- Transportation/Traffic: 720-874-6500 for questions about current projects or traffic service requests
- Zoning: 720-874-6711 or email Zoning@arapahoegov.com for zoning, subdivision and weed regulations and enforcement
What We Do
- Building: Code enforcement, plan review, permits, inspection and certificates of occupancy
- Engineering: Infrastructure review, floodplain and stormwater regulations, permits and inspections
- Oil/Gas and Energy: Permit Applications for exploration and production facilities
- Planning and Land Development: Development review and land use planning
- Road and Bridge: Maintenance, snow removal, potholes and more
- Transportation: Studies, capital infrastructure projects, regional projects and traffic engineering/operations/ITS
- Animal Control: Regulations, complaints and animal welfare
- Mapping and GIS: Mapping support and geographically linked data
- Weed Control: Mitigation of noxious weeds
- Zoning: Land Development Code regulations enforcement
- License, Permits and Approvals
- Public Notices
- Records: Guidance of Colorado Open Records Act for departmental records
Setting the Standard
In 2022, Arapahoe County Public Works and Development earned accreditation through the American Public Works Association for a second time. The department first earned accreditation in 2018. At the time, the department became the 137th agency in North America and the first County in Colorado to earn APWA accreditation. Less than one percent of the nation’s public works agencies have earned this distinction. Accreditation symbolizes the department’s commitment to continual improvement to the quality of life for Arapahoe County citizens.