What do I need to make a correction on my child’s birth certificate?

If the child is younger than 1 year

To request a correction or make a change to a birth certificate, you must submit the following through the State Vital Records Office:

  • Completed Birth Certificate Correctiom Form. 
  • Copy of your identification.
  • Documentary evidence of the change or correction as outlined on page 2 of the correction form. 
  • Non-refundable processing fees of $20.

The State Vital Records Office is by appointment only and for any in-person birth corrections/changes you will need to schedule an appointment.

If the child is older than 1 year

To change the given name on a birth certificate of a person older than 1 year, contact your local county court to obtain a certified copy of a legal name change order before submitting the birth certificate correction form. The legal name change form can be downloaded from the Colorado State Judicial Branch, and submit the following: 

Acknowledgement of Parentage information

To add a father/second parent to a birth certificate where a father/second parent is not currently listed, complete and submit the Voluntary Acknowledgement of Parentage form to the state office. 

Download the acknowledgement of parentage form and submit it to the State Vital Records Office whether that is in-person, by mail, or by email (State requires all original court documents and will not accept emailed court documents). 

Show All Answers

1. What do I need to get a birth certificate for my child?
2. Who can obtain a birth certificate?
3. What are birth certificates used for?
4. How long does it take to get the birth certificate in person, by email/mail, or by online?
5. Do we have to go to the county that the birth occurred in? Or can I go to ANY Vital Records office?
6. Why does the birth certificate print with mother’s maiden name?
7. I don’t have an ID or documents. How can I apply for my birth certificate?
8. I was not born in Colorado. Can I get a birth certificate from your office?
9. When will I receive my child’s Social Security Card?
10. What do I need to make a correction on my child’s birth certificate?