Congratulations to Lieutenant Matt Walker for achieving his certification as a Master Firearm Instructor. He was presented with this recognition on Wednesday, Aug. 2, at the 2017 Colorado Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors Association (CLEFIA) conference. Lt. Walker is the only Master Firearms Instructor at the Sheriff's Office.
The Master Firearms Instructor designation has stringent criteria and is recognized state-wide. The requirements include:
- 8 years as an agency firearms instructor
- Current P.O.S.T. Train The Trainer
- Firearms Instructor in 3 disciplines – I.e. Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Active Shooter, CQB Shoot House
- Armorer in 3 weapon systems – I.e. Handgun, Rifle, Revolver or Shotgun (any manufacturer)
- Must have taught academy classes at the “Lead” instructor level.
- Provide a complete firearms lesson plan for review.
- CLEFIA board will assign instructors form outside agencies to observe the candidate teach from their lesson plan, manage assistant instructors, test/grade students and complete associated documentation.
- Successfully pass Master level marksmanship shooting test
- Successfully pass Master level written test
Lt. Walker has been with the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office for nearly 18 years and we are fortunate for the expertise he brings to our firearms training programs.