Households receiving the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which helps low-income households in Colorado purchase food, will see a reduction in monthly benefits in March 2023. The reduction in SNAP benefits is due to the recent congressional action.
SNAP monthly benefits will return to the pre-pandemic amount. Benefit amounts are calculated based on the individual household circumstances.
The tips below will help SNAP recipients prepare for the reduction:
- Roll over EBT benefits to the next month, if you are able to. This may help cushion the impact of the reduction in benefits.
- Stock up on non-perishable items now, while you have the additional benefits. (View tips on stocking your pantry in English or Spanish.)
- Stretch food ingredients and plan to use them in more than one meal. This helps to save money and reduce food waste. (View tips on stretching ingredients in English or Spanish.)
- Consider freezing produce to make fruit and vegetables last longer. (View tips on freezing food in English or Spanish.)
- Look at unit prices to compare similar products at the grocery store. (View tips on comparing prices in English or Spanish.)
If you or someone you know needs help with food resources, you can visit https://www.foodpantries.org/st/colorado to find the closest food pantry to you. You can also find additional resources at www.arapaSOURCE.org.
For more information, please visit https://cdhs.colorado.gov/snap.