As part of Arapahoe County’s new health department creation process, the County has opened the application process to secure candidates for its foundational board of health. The single-county health department will open by Jan. 1, 2023, replacing the Tri-County Health Department, which dissolved after Adams and Douglas counties exited the decades-long public health partnership last year. The County will welcome applications for the board of health through April 27, 2022, with a goal of confirming appointments by mid-June.
The Arapahoe County Foundational Board of Health (BOH) will be responsible for completing organizational items associated with the establishment of the Arapahoe County Public Health department. It will have five members, including two current Arapahoe County commissioners who are still to be determined. Its duties will focus exclusively on ensuring that Arapahoe County Public Health is operational by Jan. 1, 2023.
A general plan has already been developed and approved by the Arapahoe County Board of Commissioners (Board). Anticipated action items include, but are not limited to:
- Appointing a public health director
- Recommending a budget for adoption
- Entering into contracts
- Adopting rules and regulations
- Securing employees and property
- Other actions necessary to implement the plan
- General duties consistent with State statute
Foundational BOH members will serve staggered terms ranging from one to five years. As these terms expire, the BOH will transition to a more traditional model, which is expected to further represent the diversity of Arapahoe County and a wider variety of expertise. Arapahoe County will also pursue diversity on the BOH from geographic, demographic, and philosophical perspectives.
All BOH candidates must be residents of Arapahoe County. They will be evaluated consistent with existing processes, including an initial application review, followed by interviews. Candidates will be selected according to their qualifications in at least one of the following areas:
- Public health expertise
- Nonprofit/business acumen
- Organizational development expertise
- Start-up expertise
- Environmental health background
- Health promotion/educator background
- Medical/public health nursing background
- Previous board experience
- Financial expertise
- Applications open April 11–27, 2022
- Interviews in early May 2022
- Appointment to Foundational Board of Health June 14, 2022
Members of the Foundational BOH will get to work immediately upon appointment and follow this schedule:
- Mid-June – extended orientation session
- Mid- to late-June – initial meeting(s) of the BOH
- Two 90-minute meetings per month, later transitioning to one meeting per month
- Training sessions
Potential candidates can find all application information at www.arapahoegov.com/boh, or by emailing BoardsandCommittees@arapahoegov.com with questions.