General Assistance

General assistance helps Arapahoe County residents with emergency situations and is available to individuals who are not currently receiving public assistance. The program varies with each situation and may assist with the following emergency needs:

  • Burial costs
  • Emergency motel fees
  • Taking possession of a residence (required deposit)
  • Prescriptions
  • Rent (not eligible if receiving subsidized housing assistance)
  • Transportation (bus pass)

General assistance also can be used for other emergencies, depending on the situation and availability of funding. Funding is not always available. An individual may only receive general assistance once in a 12-month period.


To be eligible for general assistance, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a resident of Arapahoe County
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal U.S. resident who is:
    • Disabled, or
    • Over the age of 60 years
  • Complete an application for general assistance.
  • Meet the income requirements of 133 percent of Federal Poverty Guidelines.
  • Have not received General Assistance within the past 12 months.
  • Not currently be receiving benefits from a cash assistance program

How to Apply

To apply for General Assistance, please call 303-565-7401 or email

You will need to undergo an interview to determine if you qualify and if funds are available. Applicants also will receive information about additional community resources in the area.