Commissioner Jeff Baker
Serving District 3
Jeff Baker is serving his second term as commissioner representing District 3, which includes portions of the cities of Centennial and Aurora, the Town of Foxfield, the towns of Bennett and Deer Trail and unincorporated eastern Arapahoe County.
He was sworn into office Jan. 11, 2021. His current term expires January 2025. He served as Board Chair in 2018 and is currently serving as Finance Officer in 2021.
As commissioner, Jeff oversees the Facilities and Fleet Management and the Public Works and Development departments. Additionally, he serves on these internal committees:
- Arapahoe County Foundation, Inc. Board of Directors
- Capital Improvements Project Team
- Justice Coordinating Committee
- Transportation Forum
Jeff represents the County's interests on a variety of boards and committees including:
- Arapahoe County Water and Wastewater Authority
- Arapahoe County Board of Social Services
- Arapahoe County Housing Authority
- Arapahoe County Justice Coordinating Committee
- Colorado Counties, Inc.: Agriculture, Wildlife and Rural Affairs, Land Use & Natural Resources, Public Lands
- Denver Regional Council of Governments
- E-470 Public Highway Authority Board of Directors (Alternate)
- I-70 Chamber of Commerce Representative
- Metro Area County Commissioners
- National Association of Counties: Veterans & Military Services Committee, RAC Steering Committee
- Public Airport Authority
- Regional Economic Advancement Partnership (REAP): (Planning Manager Jan Yeckes, alternate)
- Southeast Metro Stormwater Authority
- Unified Metropolitan Forensic Crime Lab
His goals are to promote and maintain a safe and secure environment for residents; to ensure that traffic congestion and road construction disruption is kept to a minimum; and to manage growth within the County responsibly, so that its neighborhoods, open spaces and recreational areas remain accessible, enjoyable and well-maintained.
Jeff is a retired United States Army military police officer and chief warrant officer. He was deployed in Iraq in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. He spent nearly five years as supervisor of Crime Scene Investigation for the Aurora Police Department and he teaches Forensic Science and Crime Scene Investigation at the Community College of Aurora Police Academy.
Prior to being elected commissioner, Jeff worked for Arapahoe County for 18 years as the manager of facility and property operations for Facilities and Fleet Management and in the Human Services Finance and Administrative Services Division. During his tenure he became familiar with the County’s budget process and participated also in the Capital Improvement Committee process, helping to identify and prioritize projects for the appropriation of capital expenditure funds.
Jeff is a Colorado native and has lived in Arapahoe County for 30+ years. He and his wife Yangson have two adult children, Timothy and Maggie, and one granddaughter, Helena.
- Arapahoe County Government – Five years with Human Services Finance and Administrative Services and 13 years as manager of facility and property operations for Facilities and Fleet Management prior to election as commissioner. He served as Chair Pro Tem in 2017, Chair in 2018 and Finance Officer in 2021.
- City of Aurora Government – Five years with the Aurora Police
Department Crime Laboratory as the Crime Scene Investigation
- Retired from the United States Army Criminal Investigation
Command and Military Police Corps
- Young-Nak Presbyterian Church, Deacon and Youth Ministry
- University of Colorado, Master of Public Administration –
Local Government Concentration