How to Open a Business
Arapahoe County Public Health issues retail food licenses for restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, breweries, and mobile units.
If you are constructing or remodeling an existing space:
- Review the Guide to Starting a Food Business.
- Complete a Retail Food Establishment Plan Review packet and go through the opening inspection process.
- Call 303-795-HLTH (4584) with related questions.
If you are taking over an existing space and making limited or no changes to the food preparation areas:
- Contact 303-795-HLTH (4584) to schedule a change of ownership inspection. You may conduct a change of owner inspection prior to taking ownership, if you feel this to be to your benefit.
The Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS) requires that certain childcare centers obtain health department approval prior to operating. Arapahoe County Public Health issues certification for commercial childcare centers, preschools, camps, before and after programs, and group homes.
In most cases you will need health department approval prior to being licensed by CDHS. Besides group homes, Arapahoe County Public Health does not issue approval for or conduct routine inspections of residential childcare programs.
If you are constructing or remodeling existing space:
- Complete the Childcare Plan Review Packet
If you are taking over an existing space and making no to very limited updates:
- Contact 303-795-HLTH (4584) to schedule a change of ownership inspection. You may schedule this inspection prior to taking ownership, if you feel this to be to your benefit.
Public Pools or Spas
Arapahoe County Public Health reviews plans for constructions, enlargement, remodeling or modification of public or semi-public swimming areas. Pool plan reviews are not required for private pools.
If you are designing or opening a public pool or spa:
If you will assume ownership of an existing pool or spa:
- Contact 303-795-HLTH (4584) to schedule a change of ownership inspection.
Body Art or Piercing Facility
Contact 303-795-HLTH (4584) to schedule an inspection prior to opening or changing ownership in a body art or piercing facility.
The inspection will ensure that you are operating in compliance with Colorado rules and laws. During this time you will also be assessed all applicable fees.