New Resident Registration

New to Colorado?

If you have recently moved to Arapahoe County from another state, you must register your vehicle within 90 days from establishing Colorado residency. Delaying this registration may subject you to late fees. For information about where to register outside Arapahoe County, visit the State of Colorado DMV website

Colorado residency is established when you meet one of the following:

  • You have obtained employment in Colorado
  • You own or operate a business in Colorado
  • You have resided in Colorado continuously for 90 days

Proof of Residency

Per House Bill 22-1254, new or returning residents registering their vehicle in Colorado must provide proof of residency.

A vehicle owner must submit a DR 2504 Colorado Residency Establishment form and proof of residency documentation in order to calculate prorated taxes and fees from the date of residency to the registration application date.

We will accept the following documents as evidence of Colorado residency, per section 42-3-103(4)(a)(III), C.R.S. 

One of the following identification documents:

○ Colorado driver’s license or identification card, or

○ Voter registration card,

○ Colorado college/university enrollment papers or student ID showing enrollment date, or

One of the following employment documents:

○ Pay stubs from an employer located in Colorado,

○ Signed letter from employer, written on employer letterhead that verifies employment start date,

○ Signed job offer letter on employer letterhead, or

One of the following documents related to the ownership or operation of a business:

○ A copy of the owner’s tax return (corporation or sole ownership),

○ A copy of the Statement of Trade Name of an Individual form that the individual filed to establish the alternative     business name (sole ownership),

○ Articles of organization (for an LLC), or

One the following housing documents:

○ Property tax receipt,

○ Utility bill indicating the utility service start date,

○ Lease/rental agreement that includes start date,

○ Mortgage statement that includes start date,

○ Deed of ownership for residence.

Registration Checklist for Out-of-State Vehicles

You must make an appointment and come in person for a first-time registration in Colorado. To shorten your wait and expedite service at the counter, please come prepared with the following documentation:

  • Valid identification
  • Proof of residency (see above for acceptable documentation)
  • One of the following types of documents:
    • Vehicle title in your name, or
    • An original out-of-state registration no more than six months expired, or
    • A Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO), or
    • A vehicle record history on state letterhead from previous state of residence.
  • Emissions test
    New residents must show proof of a passing Colorado vehicle emissions test. Vehicles that are 7 model years old or newer are exempt from emissions requirements. For emissions testing locations visit Air Care Colorado.
  • Proof of Colorado automobile insurance coverage 
    Insurance card, copy of insurance policy or letter from your insurance company on the company’s letterhead including a description of the vehicle with the following information: year, make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN), effective date and expiration date of the policy.

    New residents to the State of Colorado must have a complying insurance policy on their vehicle pursuant to C.R.S. 42-3-105(1)(d) before the vehicle can be registered in Colorado. Out of state insurance policies must comply with Colorado minimum coverage.
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN) verification
    A VIN Verification completed by a Licensed Colorado Dealer, law enforcement entity, Emissions Center, or Arapahoe County Motor Vehicle Office is required if the seller has an out-of-state title or the vehicle is purchased outside Colorado. A VIN Inspector must complete form DR 2698 from Colorado Department of Revenue. Please note: VIN inspections are not performed during inclement weather, including temperatures below 32 degrees (F). We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • Bill of Sale or Invoice
  • Payment
    We accept cash, checks, certified checks, credit/debit cards and money orders.
  • Lease Agreement (if leasing)
  • Loan Documents (if financing)

Make an Appointment Button Opens in new window
Learn more about State DMV requirements for vehicle registrations in Colorado.