- Sheriff's Office
- Crime Prevention
- Burglary & Theft Prevention
Burglary & Theft Prevention
Burglary Prevention Safety
Home security is an important aspect of crime prevention. Burglaries frequently occur during weekdays when residents are away at work or school. Every home can be a target; however, there are several steps you can take to reduce your chances of becoming victimized. Read these handy tips to avoid being burgled.
Home Safety—Multi-Family Housing
Whether you live in an apartment, condo, or townhome community, you will want to take the same basic security measures as you would a single-family residence with some minor differences. View a handy PDF of Multi-Family safety tips.
The Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office wants to work with you to prevent or reduce criminal activity. Thefts from Motor Vehicles are crimes in which thieves take valuables from parked cars. You can significantly reduce your chance of having your vehicle broken into by following a few simple tips.
An open garage is an invitation for a criminal. But even a closed garage can be opened from the outside. Learn how to secure your garage door in this video.
Like your car? We bet you do. Leave it puffing, though, and it could disappear. Reports of stolen puffer vehicles (vehicles running unattended) in parts of Arapahoe County have increased dramatically. Watch this video and avoid having your vehicle stolen.
Fitness Centers and Gyms
Working in collaboration with your local fitness centers, the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office is committed to deterring the theft of personal property. Below are several strategies to reduce your likelihood of becoming a victim:
- Leave your valuables at home
- Keep your smaller valuables with you while you workout
- Use common area lockers in the gym/workout area for your smaller valuables
- Lock your belongings in the trunk of your vehicle before reaching your destination
- Secure your belongings in a locker with a disk lock (lock with a shackle guard)
- Always lock your car doors and your locker
- Never leave property in plain sight in your car or unattended in the gym
Following these simple steps will greatly reduce your likelihood of falling victim to theft. In most cases, thefts at fitness centers involve property that was either unsecured or left in plain sight.