Frequently Asked Questions

How long does the application process take from start to finish?

By law, the sheriff has ninety (90) days from receipt of your application to perform a background check and either approve or deny your request for a concealed handgun permit. It could take up to ninety (90) days to complete the background check and notify you that your permit is ready to pick up.

How long is my permit valid?

Your permit is good for five (5) years.

The first page of the renewal application says I need to sign it in front of the sheriff or his designee, and it says the third signature needs to be notarized. Can I sign the third page of the renewal application in front of a notary and bring that in, or must I sign it in front of the sheriff or his designee? 

You can have the third page of your renewal application notarized in advance of going in to the sheriff's office to renew your permit, if you wish. (A notary must witness your signature, so don't sign it until you are in front of the notary.) Or you can use a notary at the sheriff's office for free. 

My permit was issued by Arapahoe County. Do I need to inform you if I move?

Yes. Please notify the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office Concealed Handgun Permit Unit within thirty (30) days of your move. You can do this by submitting an Address Change Form.

If I moved out of Arapahoe County, do I need to renew my permit in the county I move to?

Yes, within one hundred twenty (120) days before the expiration of the permit, you may obtain a renewal form from the Sheriff of the county or city in which you now reside (or maintain a secondary residence, or own or lease real property used by you in a business).

Will you notify me when it is time to renew my permit?

No. We do not notify you of impending expiration. Like your driver's license, it's your responsibility to maintain your permit. You may renew your permit within 120 days before it expires and up to 6 months after it expires. No permit shall be renewed six months or longer after the expiration date.

My permit was lost/stolen. What do I do?

If your permit was lost or stolen, you need to initiate a report with the local law enforcement agency where the permit was lost or stolen, and bring the documents to the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office headquarters. A sheriff's employee will make a copy of the report and ask you to fill out a Permit Lost or Destroyed Form. The fee to replace your permit is $15.

My permit is faded to the point that I cannot read it. What do I do?

If you are unable to read the information on your permit or clearly see your photograph, please bring your permit to the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office headquarters for replacement. The fee to replace your permit is $15.

Can I transfer my out-of-state concealed handgun permit to a Colorado concealed handgun permit?

No. You must apply for a Colorado concealed handgun permit.

Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) Reciprocity (Last updated 03/23/2015)

Updates are made only when there is a change to Colorado's permit reciprocity with other states. Regardless of the date of the last update, this information is current. Pursuant to Colorado law (CRS 18-12-213), the State of Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permit was issued to a resident of the state issuing the permit, and the permittee is 21 years of age or older, AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state. Hence, a "yes" in the following table also indicates that a valid Colorado permit is recognized in that state, subject to their laws.

When traveling with a Colorado permit, it is advisable to contact the state you are visiting to confirm reciprocity and to review that state's firearms laws.

If I’m a current Colorado Resident, is my out–of-state permit valid here?

No. Colorado no longer recognizes the validity of any permit issued by any state to a nonresident of that state (see C.R.S 18-12-213 amended 2007), specifically they must be a resident of the state that issued the concealed handgun permit and must be in possession of a valid driver's license or identification card issued by that same state.