Civil Union License

A “Civil Union” means a relationship established by two eligible parties pursuant to SB 13-011 that entitles them to receive the benefits and protections and be subject to the responsibilities of spouses.

Age Requirements

Both parties must be 18 years of age or older to apply.

Required to Apply

  • Complete the online Civil Union License Application and then go in-person to a County branch location. Both applicants must appear in person to apply, complete and sign the application.
  • OR Notarized Absentee Affidavit: If one party cannot appear due to illness, because he/she is out-of-state state, or incarcerated, the party applying must bring a completed, signed and notarized absentee affidavit, along with a copy of valid ID (front and back) for the absent party. The absentee affidavit must be notarized in advance.
  • $30 Cash for Civil Union License Fee. Cash only. No credit cards or checks are accepted.
  • Identification for Proof of Age for Both Parties: such as a driver’s license, passport, military ID, State ID or a birth certificate with a photo ID that includes the date of birth.
  • Social Security Number: If either party does not have a social security number, they must sign an affidavit provided by the Clerk's Office when applying for the license.
  • Place of Birth (City and State) must be listed on the application form
  • Parents' Names and Current Addresses must be listed on the application form
Neither person can be a party to another Civil Union or married to another person. Individuals also may not enter into a civil union with a relative (whether by half or whole blood).

Where to Apply

You may apply for a civil union license in any Colorado county, regardless of where you live. In Arapahoe County, civil union licenses are available Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. at the following Clerk and Recorder locations:
  • Administration Building, 5334 S. Prince St., Littleton, 80120
  • Centennial Branch, Arapahoe County Lima Plaza, 6954 S. Lima St., Centennial, 80112
  • Aurora Branch, 490 S. Chambers Road, Aurora 80017
  • Byers Branch, 538 N. Highway 36, Byers 80103 (Closed 12-1 p.m. daily)

Certification of License

The Civil Union License & Certificate is valid for 35 days and may only be used in the state of Colorado. The completed document must be certified and returned to the Arapahoe County Recording Division for recording within 63 days of certification or fines will be assessed. A ceremony is not required.

The following entities may certify a civil union:
  • Religious (Priest, Minister, Rabbi or religious institution or denomination);
  • Civil (Judge, District Court/County Court Magistrate, or Retired Judge);
  • Indian Nation or Tribe Official;
  • Self-Certifying (Couples may certify their own union. The parties to the union will need to complete the Civil Union Certificate portion of the License.)
    For a civil certification, please contact the Courts to set an appointment.

Next, you can follow these steps to Order Copies of Your Civil Union License and File a Name Change After a Civil Union