Clerk and Recorder Matt Crane
Matt Crane is serving his first full term as Arapahoe County Clerk and Recorder.
Matt was elected to oversee one of the busiest County offices, which is responsible for registering motor vehicles, recording deeds, issuing marriage and civil union licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners. The office comprises 120 employees and four office locations.
Matt is a fiscal conservative committed to providing excellent customer service to the citizens of Arapahoe County, while maintaining rigorous fiscal responsibility. He is dedicated to adopting new technologies and improving business practices in order to better serve citizens and retain valuable employees. In 2017, Matt’s goals include launching self-service kiosks for vehicle registration renewals, securing new systems for document recording and preservation, and posting wait times online so citizens may plan their trip to Clerk and Recorder branches.
As the chief election official for the County, Matt is committed to conducting fair, accurate, secure and transparent elections. He is one of a select group of election administrators in Colorado with both state and county elections experience. He has worked for the Colorado Department of State, the City and County of Denver and Arapahoe County, and holds state and national certifications in elections. In 2007, Matt was invited to participate in identifying national election best practices with the U.S. Election Assistance Commission. In 2016, under his leadership, Arapahoe County adopted Colorado’s new uniform voting system, which features more efficient and auditable voting equipment.
Matt serves as Legislative Co-Chair and Past-President of the Colorado County Clerk’s Association. He was appointed by the Colorado Department of Revenue Executive Director to serve as a county representative on the Colorado State Titling and Registration System Advisory Committee.
Matt lives in Littleton with his wife Lisa and their two children.
- Arapahoe County Clerk and Recorder (2013-2014, 2015–2018)
- Arapahoe County Deputy of Elections (2012–2013)
- Arapahoe County Elections Operations/Special Projects Manager, (2007–2012)
- Election Best Practices Task Force, U.S. Election Assistance Commission (2007)
- Interim Director of Elections, City and County of Denver Election Division (2007)
- Operations Manager, City and County of Denver Elections Division (2006–2007)
- Elections Consultant, Wyant Data Systems (2005)
- Denver Election Commission (2004–2005)
- Colorado Department of State (2000–2003)
- Colorado Elections Administrator, Colorado Secretary of State
- Certified Elections/Registration Administrator, National Association of Election Officials Election Center and Auburn University
- Certification in Public Leadership, George Washington University Center for Excellence in Public Leadership
- Colorado County Clerk’s Association, Legislative Committee Co-Chair (2015-2017); President (2016); President-Elect (2015); Vice-President (2014)
- Colorado Electronic Recording Technology Board, Chair (2016-17)
- Colorado Bipartisan Election Advisory Committee (2016-2017)
- Colorado State Titling and Registration System Advisory Committee, County Representative (2014–2017)
- Arapahoe County Long-Range Budget Committee (2016-2017)
- International Association of Government Officials
- National Association of Election Officials - Election Center
- Colorado Municipal Clerk’s Association
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and History, Metropolitan State College of Denver