Clerk and Recorder Matt Crane
Matt Crane is serving his first full term as Arapahoe County Clerk and Recorder.
Matt was elected to oversee one of the busiest County offices, which is responsible for registering motor vehicles, recording deeds, issuing marriage and civil union licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners. The office comprises 120 employees and four office locations.
Matt is a fiscal conservative committed to providing excellent customer service and efficient government programs. Under Matt’s leadership, the Clerk and Recorder’s Office has adopted new technologies and improved business practices to better serve citizens and retain employees.
Matt led the adoption of an electronic queuing system and posted wait times online, so citizens can plan a trip to our branches. He unveiled Colorado’s first self-service kiosks for license plate renewals. He also moved the County’s driver’s license and passport services to appointment-only, to eliminate long waits and ensure a more positive experience for customers. These initiatives have, in turn, helped to better manage the workload and reduce average wait times for Motor Vehicle services from 1 hour to just 15 minutes.
In 2018, Matt’s goals include expanding the use and availability of Colorado MVExpress kiosks, rolling out a new computer system for document recording, supporting the launch of Colorado’s new motor vehicle computer system, and conducting successful elections, including Colorado’s first-ever Primary Election in which unaffiliated voters may cast a ballot.
As the chief election official for the County, Matt is committed to conducting fair, accurate, secure and transparent elections. He is one of a select group of election administrators in Colorado with both state and county elections experience, and holds state and national certifications in elections. In 2007, Matt was invited to participate in identifying national election best practices with the U.S. Election Assistance Commission. Under Matt’s leadership, Arapahoe County piloted Colorado’s new risk limiting audit for election results, and adopted Colorado’s new uniform voting system in 2016, which features more efficient and auditable voting equipment.
Matt serves as Secretary of the Colorado County Clerk’s Association, chair of the Colorado Electronic Recording Technology Board and member of the National Voter Registration Act Working Group. He is a member of the Leadership Denver Class of 2018.
Matt lives in Littleton with his wife Lisa and their two children.
- Arapahoe County Clerk and Recorder (2013-2014, 2015–2018)
- Arapahoe County Deputy of Elections (2012–2013)
- Arapahoe County Elections Operations/Special Projects Manager, (2007–2012)
- Election Best Practices Task Force, U.S. Election Assistance Commission (2007)
- Interim Director of Elections, City and County of Denver Election Division (2007)
- Operations Manager, City and County of Denver Elections Division (2006–2007)
- Elections Consultant, Wyant Data Systems (2005)
- Denver Election Commission (2004–2005)
- Colorado Department of State (2000–2003)
- Colorado Colorado Election Official, Colorado Secretary of State
- Certified Elections/Registration Administrator, National Association of Election Officials (Election Center)
- Certification in Public Leadership, George Washington University Center for Excellence in Public Leadership
- Colorado County Clerk’s Association, President (2016); PresidentElect (2015); Vice-President (2014); Secretary (2018); Elections Legislation Committee Co-Chair (2015-2018)
- Colorado Electronic Recording Technology Board, Chair (2016-2018)
- Colorado Bipartisan Election Advisory Committee (2016-2018)
- Colorado State Titling and Registration System Advisory Committee, County Representative (2014–2018)
- Colorado DRIVES Governance Committee (2017-2018)
- National Voter Registration Working Group (2017-2018)
- Leadership Denver Class of 2018
- Arapahoe County Long-Range Budget Committee (2016-2017)
- International Association of Government Officials
- National Association of Election Officials - Election Center
- Colorado Municipal Clerk’s Association
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and History, Metropolitan State College of Denver