Sheriff David C. Walcher
David C. Walcher was appointed as Arapahoe County Sheriff on Feb. 1, 2014. In November 2014, he was elected by the voters to serve his first term as the chief law enforcement officer of the county. As Sheriff, Dave is responsible for maintaining the peace, enforcing criminal laws, operating the jail, serving and executing civil processes and serving as the fire warden for prairie and forest fires in the county. He also is the county’s emergency manager.
Dave began his career in law enforcement in 1981 as a civilian working for the Federal Bureau of Investigation. In 1988, Dave became a deputy for the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, where he rose through the ranks to Division Chief. During this tenure, he undertook a wide array of special assignments, including training new deputies as an Academy Coordinator, serving on the SWAT Team, and handling the agency’s accreditation with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA).
After a diverse and successful 22-year career with the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, Dave retired and began his new career with the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office in 2009. He first served as Chief of the Detention and Administrative Services Bureau, and was appointed as Undersheriff in 2011.
Dave was a part-time faculty member at the University of Colorado Denver, where he lectured undergraduate and graduate students for the School of Public Affairs Criminal Justice Program. He also has partnered with the University of Denver Daniels College of Business to create a Public Safety Leadership Development Program, which develops future public safety leaders throughout Colorado.
Dave serves as Co-Chair of the State of Colorado Correctional Treatment Board and is on the board of the Highlands Ranch Law Enforcement Training Foundation. He also serves on the Board of Directors for the Aurora Mental Health Center, the Arapahoe County Justice Coordinating Committee, the Asian Pacific Development Center, and the County’s Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Task Force.
Dave is a Colorado native and resides with his wife in Aurora, where they have lived for the last 23 years. They do not have children, but enjoy spending time with their 21 nieces and nephews. In his free time, Dave enjoys golfing, boating, water sports, riding ATVs, hiking, bicycling and classic vehicles.
- Arapahoe County Sheriff (2014, 2015–2018), Undersheriff (2011-2013), Bureau Chief of the Detention and Administrative Services Bureau (2009–2011)
- University of Colorado Denver – Part-Time Faculty Member Lecturer for School of Public Affairs, Criminal Justice Program (2007–2014)
- Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office (1988–2009), Deputy, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Division Chief
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (1981–1988)
- Bachelor of Science, Accounting, Metropolitan State College of Denver
- Master of Criminal Justice Degree, University of Colorado Denver
- Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command
- University of Denver Daniels College of Business – Public Safety Leadership Program
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Law Enforcement Executive Development Seminar